Claims Process

You will need to fill out a claim form. Please read the instructions carefully before filling out the form.

The claimant is required to provide all the documents to support their claim. Failure to provide complete information and/or supporting documents may delay investigation and processing of your claim.

State law provides that claims against a political subdivision shall be in writing and filed with the office of the clerk of the governing body. (51 O.S. § 156(D).) It is the claimant’s responsibility to file his or her claim with the City Clerk’s Office. The City Clerk’s Office will then forward your claim to the Municipal Counselor’s office. You will be notified by letter when your claim is received by the City Clerk’s Office, and will be told the name of the attorney or legal intern reviewing your claim.

All Tort Claims are governed by the provisions of the Governmental Tort Claims Act (51 O.S. § 151, et seq.). This act allows the City 90 days to investigate your claim before you can file suit against the City. State law also provides that a claim is deemed denied if a political subdivision fails to approve the claim within ninety (90) days. If the City engages in settlement negotiations with you, these negotiations do not extend the date of denial unless the extension is agreed to in writing by the claimant and the City.

You may need to read the state statutes and/or consult your own private attorney to determine your legal rights and remedies. The Municipal Counselor’s Office does not represent the claimant. This office is the legal advisor to the City Council.

The Municipal Counselor’s Office will make every effort to review your claim as quickly as possible.